Application deadline is September 30, 2018
SEPTEMBER 18, 2018 – Environment and Climate Change Canada is requesting applications for ten member positions on the Sustainable Development Advisory Council, starting in November 2018. One member will represent British Columbia, one will represent Manitoba, one will represent Ontario, one will represent Nova Scotia, one will represent Yukon, one will represent business organizations, one will represent environmental non-governmental organizations, and three will represent Indigenous peoples. Members will be appointed for a term of four years with the possibility of renewal.
Mandate of the body:
The Sustainable Development Advisory Council is established under the Federal Sustainable Development Act. Its mandate includes reviewing and commenting on drafts of the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy, which sets out federal environmental sustainability goals, targets and actions for a three-year period. The Council is chaired by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change and includes one representative from each province and territory, and three representatives from each of the following: Indigenous peoples, environmental non-governmental organizations, organizations representative of business, and organizations representative of labour.
During public consultations on the draft Federal Sustainable Development Strategy, Council members will review and provide advice on the draft strategy to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change. In carrying out their duties, Council members will represent their respective constituencies’ interests, points of view and concerns. Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Sustainable Development Office will provide Secretariat functions.
As required by the Federal Sustainable Development Act, Council members will hold office without remuneration and will not be reimbursed for expenses incurred in the course of their duties.
Position location / Time commitment:
Council members will be asked to participate in at least two meetings during public consultations on the draft Federal Sustainable Development Strategy, to be held at a time and date chosen by the Chair. Meetings will be virtual, with members taking part remotely (for example, via teleconference). Members will also be encouraged to collaborate outside of scheduled meetings. A secure web-based discussion forum will be made available to support discussion and submission of comments.
How to apply:
Candidates must submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2018. The application must include the following:
- Curriculum vitae (c.v.) & contact information
- Contact information for two references
- A cover letter addressing the eligibility criteria and qualifications
Eligibility criteria and qualifications
To be considered for this position, please provide concrete examples in your application that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following education, experience and knowledge requirements:
Education, experience & knowledge requirements
- A degree from a recognized university or an acceptable combination of education, job-related training and/or experience in the areas related to the work of the Council, such as environmental sustainability
- Experience in participating in multi-interest processes
- If applying for a provincial/territorial position, residence in that province or territory
- If applying for the business position, involvement in the business community
- If applying for the environmental non-governmental position, involvement in the environmental non-governmental community
- If applying for a position representing Indigenous peoples, ability to represent the interests, points of view and concerns of First Nations, Métis or Inuit peoples
- Experience in sustainable development
- Knowledge of issues relevant to the Council, particularly environmental sustainability and the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy
- Understanding of the mandate and activities of the Council
- Communication skills
- Ability to speak both official languages is an asset
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, your references will be contacted to verify how you have demonstrated the above requirements and the following personal attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity (mandatory)
- Diplomacy and tact
- Superior interpersonal skills
Official languages and diversity:
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for these positions. You are therefore encouraged to indicate your ability to speak and understand your second official language in your application. The government is committed to ensuring that its appointments take into consideration the desire to achieve gender parity and reflect Canada’s diversity, in terms of linguistic, generational, regional and employment equity representation. You are therefore encouraged to indicate in your application if you are a member of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with a disability, visible minority, youth. Please note that there is no requirement to provide this information, i.e. Provision of this information is voluntary.
Eligibility factors and conditions of appointment
- Members must be authorized to represent and speak on behalf of the constituency they represent, with a direct interest in implementing sustainable development at the federal level
- Members must be able to speak about sustainable development issues arising from the perspective of their constituency
If you are appointed to this position:
- Members must be Canadian citizens.
- Members must comply with the ethical, political activity and conflict of interest guidelines applicable to federal Ministerial appointments. They are subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website.
- A reliability security clearance may be required.
- Members must comply with the Council’s Terms of Reference (available upon request).
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.